Life Without Facebook (and French Fries)

By 17:30 , , , , , , ,

I haven't written here since about, Carnival. I also haven't been on Facebook since about then.
I actually "quit" Facebook about a week or so before Carnival, because I realized it was getting in the way of my productivity. I could say I quit writing here too, but I honestly just haven't had much to say.

And so you ask:

"Well, why didn't you just stop logging in?"

"Because it's frickin' addictive and I just can't do iiiitttt." I would reply.

Like with many things I attempt, I tend to be drastic, because I've learned this is the only way I can help myself get at least on track.

The idea was to just stay off for a couple of weeks until I could get my work and priorities in order, and then I'd go back, no problems. But then with Carnival and the Lenten season coming up on us, I figured I'd stay off. And so until this past weekend, I hadn't had Facebook. Or french fries.





And here's what it was like + what I've learned:

1. Stop doing business on Facebook



I've never liked this, and getting off has forced clients and providers to contact me via email (or Whatsapp, but that's another issue). This has made organizing client requests SO much easier, with history of requests in a neat email chain and wonderful results!

2. If someone really needs to talk to you, they'll figure out how. 



If they haven't, then they didn't really need to talk to you, did they? I got messages coming in from all sorts of places from people who genuniely needed to talk to me. Including a former student who found me on Linkedin to ask for help at work!

3. People worry about friends not on Facebook.



Did you know that people quit Facebook after break ups? I had a few friends discover they couldn't find me, and email/text asking if G and I had broken up. WHAT? Apparently it's a way to get away from the fuss of "Are you okay?" On that note, we're still happily together :-)

4. Your social life tends to slow down. 


I remember one weekend G asked me if I had any ideas for plans, and then joked "Ah, you're not on Facebook, and haven't gotten a million invites this week." And it's SO true! I apparently missed my friends' band's show last week, and only found out about it on Instagram. I've been back on Facebook for 2 days and have gotten at least 6 event invites. Gone are the evite days. This wasn't a problem most of the time, though. Please refer to number 2 ;-)

5. You don't get caught up with or angry at other people's bullshit. 



During my time away from Facebook, many in Brazil were up in arms about domestic politics, corruption, the weak Real, impeaching Dilma and whatnot... I didn't get angry at anyone for voicing un-intelligent copies of what other un-intelligent people were saying. My life was so stress free! And although I was still on instagram and twitter, I saw less wedding photos, baby pictures, unsolicited selfies, yoga posing for photos, and public pity parties. It also helped me learn I should probably do less of that on Facebook once I was back on. Life not-stalking and not-digitally-gossiping can actually be quite fulfilling. Who'd've thunk?


6. You get a lot more done. 



In other words. You live a little.

I'm back on Facebook, but probably won't be using it as much, now that I know how productive I can be without constantly opening it when I feel somewhat idle. I may limit my usage with a browser app from now on, just to make sure I don't peruse for longer than I should.

I can't say the same for french fries though <3 p="">


You Might Also Like

0 comments