What It's Really Like to Live in the US as a Brazilian

By 18:16 , , , ,

In Brazilian football, and other things too, there's a chant that goes like this:

Eu, sou brasileiro, com muito orgulho, com muito amor!

which translates to:

I'm Brazilian, filled with pride, and with so much love [to be Brazilian]! 

This is a chant that has always resonnated with me, considering that although I've lived that larger portion of my life in the US, I was always raised to learn about and be proud of my heritage.

Today, I had lunch at my Dutch friend's house. She and her husband have been living here for a little over a year. At lunch, we were talking about how so many Brazilians complain so much about everything. My friend's husband says to this: "I think Brazil's a great place to be. I don't think they have so much to complain about at all."



Mind you, they aren't expatriated by their companies, they moved here on their own. Because they like Brazil, because they want to raise their child here.

To some Brazilians though, this is absurd and they could never imagine why. And according to this article, a handful are going to... you guessed it MIAMI.

The hashtags are:

#desistidobrasil

and

#projetofui

And this makes me sad. It's a "protest" of sorts. People leaving the country because they're "given up" on Brazil or are fed up with their lives here (although, let's be frank, 99.9% of these people are in the Top 5% if not 1% economically speaking, in Brazil), the cost of living, the politics, etc. etc.

It kind of reminds me of when Bush was elected to his second term in 2004. I was in my sophomore year at Providence College, a university that had quite a mix of democrats and republicans, but mostly democrats, being in a liberal state surrounded by two other blue states. Many of my fellow peers and those around the country would joke about moving to Canada if Bush won the elections.



Nobody left.

The same people who are using the "#desistidobrasil hashtag, were using #mudabrasil (change Brazil) before the elections. So now because your one vote didn't change the president, you're going to give up?

I'm grateful for having been raised in the US, don't get me wrong. However, I do sometimes feel my friends and family in Brazil are overall more conscious citizens and value more important things than my American cohorts. And that makes all the difference day-to-day, regardless of the economy.



With that being said, as for you, Brazilian who's escaping to Miami, I'm sure you know of everything that's good and great (added security, cheaper "things", economic prosperity), and

But, I just think you should know a little bit about life for Brazilians in the US.

1. You and yourr children will never be American. I don't care if you have a US passport. I don't care how "perfect" your English is (which it probably isn't - at all). You will forever be asked where you're from. Florida will never be a suitable answer.

2. Gun Violence, Gang Violence, Sexual Assault, and Drugs are a reality there too. I know more people who have been shot, stabbed, in gangs, sexually assaulted and who have died from overdoses in the US than in Brazil. In Brazil, I have witnessed more petty crimes than in the US. In both countries, I have surrounded myself with educated and generally midclass individuals - so don't think your kids are safe from harm just because they're closer to Disney World.

WHAT THE FUCK!?! 

3. Americans are dissatisfied with their government representatives as well. Just look at the midterm elections. Oh, you were too busy bitching about Brazilian elections?

4. One of the biggest holidays in America celebrates a meal that preceded a mass killing and in which 200 million pounds of edible food is thrown away.

Hmmm... 


In Brazil, our most celebrated holiday is a mix of pagan and religious festivities, where the streets are literally taken over by the people to come together as one to celebrate life.

5. Your holidays will be cut in half. Maybe two thirds. Maybe more than that. 40% of employers don't give LABOR DAY off. 

6. Don't like Bolsa Família? Your American tax paying dollars will also go to welfare - which in most states pays more than minimum wage.


7. Think Globo, SBT, Record and etc. is horrible television? Have YOU SEEN what people watch in the United States?!

A little girl who swears like a sailor, that's what... 

8. Ramen burgers, Doritos tacos, double down sandwiches, etc. Gotta love the industrialized toxins you'll be consuming :-)

Gluten Free? 

9. You will be forever in debt. I honestly have probably 90% less debt than most of my American friends right now... Even the ones who don't own homes and don't have families.




10. You will never learn how to say "world" correctly, and Americans will laugh at you and question what you're saying, constantly.

Your life will be great, I can assure you - but do you honestly think that by going from one country to another, you will escape all the f*cked up sh$t you see in Brazil? I hate to have been the one to break it to you, but your first world problems exist in both countries.


You Might Also Like

0 comments