Brazilian Election Results - A Country Divided?

By 22:59 , ,

Yesterday, Brazil awoke to a hangover state. For some, it was from celebrating Dilma's win on the streets and at home. For others, it was from lamenting Aécio Neves' loss and worry about what the future holds. For the rest of us, it was really just from the weekend. 

And so this state was taken from the physical and lone citizen to social media, and it was all downhill from there. 

PT supporters screaming (in caps) they'd claimed victory, their team had won the match, it was us against them and we won again (bitcheeessss). Crying out their outrage towards those who'd voted for Aécio Neves and criticizing them for being elitist pigs.

PSDB supporters asking for prayers, declarations on moving to Miami (triggered by a Brazilian celebrity), cries on being embarassed To be Brazilian, and worst of all, wanting to separate themselves from those who voted for Dilma, mocking the northeast, calling the residents of these states uninformed poor people who didn't know any better (mind you, I'm putting it lightly here).

I unfollowed a few people, like the rest of Brazil. I also stopped scrolling down as I felt my blood rising. 

And since I can't keep my mouth shut, before heading to teach a class, I wrote a quick post with some statistics I'd come across throughout the election process and yesterday, and gave my neutral stance on why they're all wrong.

Just to summarize, I pointed out the northeast was not responsible for Dilma's win, in fact, despite percentages of populations, the southeast had more votes for her in real numbers. So this was unecessary xenofobia. I also mentioned that we'd be "lost" either way, and the only thing that'd make significant difference was the candidates's distinct monetary policy, which we've discussed here previously. In fact, Dilma's new financial ministry announcement today should change the game for the country positively, if she's smart about it. 

After submitting my post, I ran out to class, and since I hadn't eaten, stopped at a nearby lanchonete to pick up a snack for the ride over. 

There, a short man in a suit was having a beer, and discussing the elections with a waiter, another man in a ripped tshirt and dirty jeans, and the man working at the register. The man in the suit had clearly just went on a rant, and the guy at the register and the waiter weren't having it. 

After I ordered my esfiha (my nutritionist would have killed me), I listened in to their conversation. The man in the suit started saying he wasn't going to say anything else, and the two workers at the bar started saying how wrong it was that people were saying such bad things about those in the northeast. These men made it clear that's where they were born. The guy in the ripped shirt turned over and said "They can say what they want about me. I'm an honest worker, and don't owe them shit." The waiter proceeded to saying, "Yeah, but that's discrimination. These are the same people who need us! What'll they do if we leave? Who's willing to do our jobs? Who's going to serve their food?" 

The man in the suit silently sipped on his beer. 

In no moment were the actual election results discussed (at least not in my 3 minute stay there). I left quietly and thanked them all. 

The scene stuck with me. I don't really know what to think of it except a big generalization of what Sunday's elections say about Brazil. You have the politically concerned lower class, worried about social programs and keeping their jobs. The upper class trying to make an argument, but ocassionally offending someone. And the occasional person who keeps to him or herself, not minding much about what's going on. Except in real life, it's much less dramatic than in social media.

Photo credits.

You Might Also Like

0 comments