Working from Home - How to Being Productive?

By 14:42 , , , ,

Today I'm going to talk a little bit about how I stay productive (when I do) whilst working from home! Today hasn't been one of those productive days, hence this blog post, to remind me of what I need to do to start being more productive today!

Here are a few things I've been doing that have helped.


To-Do List - Kanban Style
1. To-Do Lists - I've never been one to have these sorts of lists, but I have started to use a few recently that have definitely helped. There are all sorts of kinds of lists that can help. Post-its on the wall with columns entitled "Need," "In Progress," and "Done." Or a plain to-do list on a sheet of paper. There are all sorts of online tools as well, but I tend to ignore those.

2. Pomodoro Technique - Have you heard of this? It's been a life saver for me. You're supposed to work for 25 minutes, and then stop for 5 to do whatever. Check your email, social media sites, get up and make yourself a sandwich/grab a snack (I do this the most), and then go back, work another 25 minutes, and start over again. Definitely one of those subconscious tricks to get you to focus because then you get a "treat" at the end. But really, 25 minutes is perfect for my short attention span! Use an alarm or cell phone app. I use Pomodoro Me.

Quick lunches can be healthy! 5 minutes prep time.
3. Schedule times to workout, have lunch, and housework. Use the pomodoro time for this as well. I usually set a 1/2 hour to have lunch if there's food ready and an hour if I need to prepare lunch - and I always try to make these healthy. If I'm alone at home, I'll read a book in that half hour while I eat or watch a TV show on Hulu or something. With working out, I try to set aside time at least 3 times a week to do a 1/2 hour of YouTube Yoga, or (when it's not raining or I don't get too lazy to leave the house) go for a job.

4. Keep your space clean. I feel like I work the best when my desk and room are tidy, or if I'm working in our guest room, which is always clean. Maybe it's because a mess makes me anxious and distracts me from my work!

5. Get up and get dressed for work. My morning routine usually involves getting up, taking a shower, getting dressed into jeans and a blouse or a day dress and then have breakfast while watching the news. All of this BEFORE checking my emails and logging on to Skype. Having this me time in the morning helps making going to my desk at home seem like more of a commute than it really is and more like a "real" work space.

Pomodoro time's almost up! See you next post :-)

Do you work from home? What do you do to get things done throughout the day? 

You Might Also Like

3 comments