Easy Recipes - Moqueca Improvisada

By 15:05 , , , , , ,

Sometimes I feel like making something traditional. But I lack all the ingredients. And so I make with what I have on hand.

A Moqueca Capixaba is a stewy fish dish from the state of Espírito Santo, that sliver between Rio de Janeiro and Bahia. It's similar to the moqueca you'll find in Bahia, except there's no coconut milk or dendê oil.

I'd been craving it, so I bought some dogfish (shark) in slices, and made due with whatever else I had at home. It's also usually made in a clay pot. Which I don't own.

Here's what I came up with:

Moqueca Improvisada - 
prep time, 25-30 minutes.

Ingredients -

1 kilo sliced dogfish (cação, you can also use whiting)
2 tomatoes, 1 chopped, 1 sliced
1 onion, chopped
scallions and cilantro to taste
garlic and salt to taste
1 teasppon saffron diluted in 1/4 cup sunflower oil. 
1 lime or 1 teaspoon vinegar
Pinch of black pepper and cumin, ground
water
olive oil

Method -

1. Make a paste with garlic and salt (I used a teaspoon of salt and 2 garlic cloves).
2. Season the fish with salt, pepper, cumin and lime. Set aside.


3. In a large skillet, heat 1/2 of the chopped onion with a little bit of olive oil. Add the garlic paste, mix and let simmer until the onions are golden. Add tomatoes.


4. Lower the heat, and add the fish to the mixture.
5. Add the saffron and oil mixture, placing the fish strategically so it's submersed. Add 1/4 cup water.


6. Let cook for 15 minutes, turning pieces of fish until you see it looks cooked.
7. Add sliced tomatoes, rest of the onions, cilantro and scallions. Let cook for another 5 minutes, covered.

Turn off heat and serve with fresh white rice!

(I don't have a picture of the final dish because I was on the phone with my parents at the same time I was cooking. Sorry!)

You Might Also Like

0 comments