Minha Terra Tem Palmeiras...

By 18:19 , ,

Last weekend, my friend Nancy was here from Argentina (pics to come - none were on my camera so I'm waiting on everyone to send them to me!), and we went to the Museu da Língua Portuguesa. There's this multimedia presentation there which has modern day voices singing and reciting Brazilian poetry, prose, and song.


There's this one poem that's recited, by Gonçalves Dias, a Brazilian poet from the 19th century, that always moves me. He wrote it when he was in Europe after having studied there for a long time - and everytime I read it or hear it, it makes me think about how I felt when I was in the US - even not having known Brazil "firsthand."

Canção do exílio The Exile Song

Minha terra tem palmeiras, My land has palm trees,

Onde canta o Sabiá; Where the thrush sings;
As aves, que aqui gorjeiam, The birds that twitter here,
Não gorjeiam como lá. Don't twitter as they do there.

Nosso céu tem mais estrelas, The sky has more stars,
Nossas várzeas têm mais flores, Our plains have more flowers,
Nossos bosques têm mais vida, Our woods have more life,
Nossa vida mais amores. Our lives more loved ones.

Em cismar, sozinho, à noite, While I think, alone, at night,
Mais prazer eu encontro lá; I experience more pleasure there;
Minha terra tem palmeiras, My land has palm trees,
Onde canta o Sabiá. Where the thrush sings.

Minha terra tem primores, My land has beauty,
Que tais não encontro eu cá; That I do not find here;
Em cismar –sozinho, à noite– While I think - alone, at night -
Mais prazer eu encontro lá; I experience more pleasure there;
Minha terra tem palmeiras, My land has palm trees,
Onde canta o Sabiá. Where the thrush sings.

Não permita Deus que eu morra, Please God don't allow that I die
Sem que eu volte para lá; Before returning there;
Sem que disfrute os primores Before I enjoy the beauty
Que não encontro por cá; That I can't find here;
Sem qu'inda aviste as palmeiras, Before I see the palm trees,
Onde canta o Sabiá. Where the thrush sings.

So pretty, isn't it?

I feel my parents are reciting this song in one way or another every day... and I can only say the same prayers as Gonçalves Dias had made for them - that they can make it here and enjoy all the beauty I'm experiencing!

Have a lovely weekend :-)

beijoss,

ps - i'm not a professional translator, so excuse the above translation, haha.

You Might Also Like

2 comments