Undocumented Immigrants - Not a Real Issue?

By 22:48 ,

Everyone's talking about Kanye West this week, so I couldn't leave my two cents out, could I? If you're reading this and you don't know about Kanye's shenanigans at the VMAs, a.) um, where have YOU been? and b.) here's what happened: he walked on stage and took the mic from Taylor Swift during her acceptance speech for Best Female Video and said Beyonce had one of the best videos of the year.


Needless to say, in the words of US president Barack Obama, "He's a jackass..."

Which leads me to the real point of this post. I've been having issues with politics recently. I've subscribed to a number of international politics feeds and it has become more and more apparent to me how much people DON'T CARE about politics at all... yet everyone blames the government for any problems they have.

One of the feeds I subscribed to was Foreign Policy's, and yesterday there was an article on there by Manuel Orozco, one of the world's top remittances experts, who I happen to know personally from my time spent interning at the Inter-American Dialogue, and respect very much. His article was mostly on remittances and how they've dropped in to Latin American countries, but with a focus on how the US should care more for immigrants than ever because of the economy (yayee Manuel!). What struck me the most though, was the opening line of the article where he writes,

"Last Wednesday night, when South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson shouted "You lie!" when U.S. President Barack Obama said that his health-care plan would not extend to undocumented immigrants, he revived a controversial political issue that, though always simmering in the background, has recently been overshadowed by debates over the state of the economy and Obama's response to the recession."

Raise your hand if you heard of this incident as well as the Kany mess up?
So are we concerned about this senator's actions?

Nope.

Why aren't Americans caring? Because as Manuel's article is so aptly entitled... immigrants in the US are "The Least Among Us." Americans in general feel superior to immigrants and don't think they deserve the rights they get in the United States. I won't get into this too far or else I'll be here all night...

... but I just really wanted to say how it bothers me that a mere hip hop artist has more influence in his negative actions than a Senator. Granted what he did was shady, but why is this artist insulting another on stage at an awards show more controversial than an elected senator a.)calling the United States President a liar, and b.) blatantly showing disrespect for millions of people living in the US?

People often ask me why I didn't wait for any sort of immigration reform to happen in the US before trekking to Brazil. I look at this sort of view from the general public on this much needed reform, and wonder, "Thank God I didn't wait for the government to react..." Unfortunately for the millions who are still waiting there - it looks like it might take a while before they're going to be considered to be "one of them," and not the "least of them," if ever.

You Might Also Like

8 comments