Parks, Museums, and Easter!

By 20:15 , , , ,

Back from neglectfulness.  The past couple of weeks have not only been hectic, but I've had writer's block to top it off! I have sat down to write a post a few times and have not had the inspiration to write... but today, I am back! For good, I hope. 


I've been working a lot the past couple of weeks and last weekend I went to Maresias, a beach about 3 hours away, with some friends for a costume party.  I have pictures up from the weekend in a facebook album FYE :-) 

It's been a long weekend for me and yesterday for Good Friday, I went to my aunt's house and made bóbó de camarão for the fam.  We then went to their friends' house and later at night I met up with a few friends to watch Gran Torino (<3>

Today, I made plans to go to a couple of museums I've been wanting to go to with my friend Fabi.  We decided to meet at the train/metro station near the museums, Estação da Luz, and since I got there early, I decided to take a walk in the park immediately in front of the station since it was such a pretty day out.  The park and train station are both gorgeous and I wish I had my camera with me, but here's something I found online of both: 


I walked around the park and sat down a couple of times to watch and listen to two different groups of cute old men playing MPB and Sertanejo.  I noticed as I was walking, that a few men tried to get my attention or were looking at me creepily, but I paid no mind since after all, I was in the "centro," or downtown part of the city where you can find anything and everything.  What REALLY caught me off guard was when I was sitting listening to one of the groups playing, that and older man (and by older I mean, he definitely doesn't pay to ride the bus anymore!) came over and asked if he could sit next to me and chat.  I said that sure, but that I would have to go soon.  As I pull my phone out to check the time, he goes, "Uh-oh, you have a man you have to get to, huh?" and I just chuckled.  He then turns to me and says, "So let's get straight to the point here.  How much do you charge?"  I looked at him with disgust written all over my face and say, "EXCUSE ME?"  He goes, "Aah, I guess I'm too old..." and something else I wasn't paying attention to because I was still horrified by his question.  I picked up my purse, said, "I'm sorry sir, but you're terribly mistaken.  Excuse me, I have to go," and jetted out of the park back to the station to wait for Fabi.  WTF?! As I told this story to my friend later in the day, he tells me he used to work near Luz and that apparently the park is a prostitute pick up spot... Riiighhhttt.  Next time I go walk at any park, I should probably ask around first. *sigh. Needless to say, I was ready to get out of there and go to the museum. 


Fabi and I spent a lovely rest of the afternoon at the Museu da Língua Portuguesa, where I learned about the origins of Brazilian Portuguese, read and listened to Brazilian poetry, and watched an interactive exhibit on Brazilian literary classics (see left).  We then crossed the street to Estação Pinacoteca, a gorgeous (I can't get over the architecture of the place - see picture below) art museum, which is home to a number of national and foreign pieces.  The temporary exhibit holds a number of Fernand Léger pieces along side our very own Brazilian Tarsila do Amaral.

We then grabbed dinner at a nearby mall and here I am a metro ride and brisk Autumn evening walk home.  Needless to say, it was a fun and eventful (and shocking!) day.  

Now that I don't have writer's block anymore, I have tons of post ideas for you!! Have a very Happy Easter and/or Passover to those who celebrate! I know I'm going to church with my aunt tomorrow then we're going to have yummy things to eat at her house!

beijjoosssss, I've missed this blog, hehe. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments