5th Summit of the Americas - Coming to Terms with the Global Economy

By 23:56

The home page of the Summit of the Americas site tells us right away what it is all about: 


The Summits of the Americas bring together the Heads of State and Government of the Western Hemisphere to discuss common concerns, seek solutions and develop a shared vision for their future development of the region, be it economic, social or political in nature.

Yesterday, while at my boss' daughter's 1st birthday party (yayee, kid's birthday!), I was talking to (well, more like listening to, because I was ashamed of my lack of keeping up with the news) a few people including some who I worked with, my boss' husband and a couple others about "the crisis."  It seems to be a question that makes its way into any casual conversation recently, doesn't it?  So, how's the family?  The kids?  How about work?  How's business holding up with the crisis?  My boss and her husband are from Argentina, so we also talked about how things are going there and how politics is affecting how countries are making there way out or not of this crisis, etc.  

So in attempting to feel better about my lack of knowledge and not keeping up with the news, I came home today after a long and fun day (I went hiking, then watched a major soccer game at a bar, and then had pizza, beer, and movies at a friends' house), and decided to see how things were going financially around the hemisphere, at least.  I didn't have to go far, because the Inter-American Dialogue has put together two great little videos talking about the G-20 meeting, the Financial Crisis and the Summit of the Americas which ends today.  

Here's one which was a preview of the Summit: 
 

Preview of the Summit of the Americas from Inter-American Dialogue on Vimeo.

The other one can be found here: The Financial Crisis

One thing that I've found interesting and which I've been thinking about since the G-20 meeting, is that all of this, despite bringing economic turmoil on a number of countries, has also kind of brought them together.  One thing the interviewees mention in the videos is that in these meetings, some of the bigger economies are making sure the smaller economies aren't forgotten.  And I feel there's an overall consensus that it's all for one and one for all in attempting to help our economies grow.  

Is this because everyone's in "the shitter" economically so to speak?  And if you can't beat'em, join'em?  Or are we really becoming less realists, focusing on our own states' security and power and more social constructivists, or more overall friendly neighbors, politically speaking?  Which would be best for economic growth and stability? 

... I let the IR side of me reflect a lot without definitive answers, but I wonder which is best.  What do you think?  Are we genuinely trying to help each other out?  Have we finally, with this crisis (and by we, I mean political leaders)  come to terms with the fact that we're officially a Global Economy? 

You Might Also Like

3 comments