Porque Voltei.

By 15:37 , ,

A question I hear almost daily here in Brazil when people find out I lived in the U.S. for almost 20 years is : Mas por que você voltou?

It's unimaginable for Brazilians to think someone in my situation - raised in the U.S. with a bachelor's degree from a very decent college and parents living there - would ever even imagine a life in Brazil "again" for an indefinite amount of time. And I don't blame them, up until a little over a year ago, a move like this wasn't even close to becoming a figment of my imagination.

Since this question has been asked so often, and I am assuming a number of you who don't know me (and maybe even some who do!) are also curious to know, I have developed a 30 second elevator speech as to O porque do "Voltei," that I would like to share with you:

Long story short, my parents moved to the U.S. in 1988 to make some money and in 5 years return to Brazil. That ended up not happening and my father applied for his green card through his employer. After a few tries (the employer didn't make enough money, there were too many qualified American workers...), his application was approved through the Department of Labor 2 weeks after my 21st birthday and didn't make its way to USCIS ("immigration") until October 2007. This made it so I wouldn't be able to fall under my father's application anymore and no immigration laws currently exist in categories which I fall under. It was either marry an American, live in the U.S. illegally, or come back to Brazil. Since I wasn't having the former, and was fed up with my situation there, I graduated in May 2007, took up a non paid internship in DC for some brownie points, saved up some money waitressing until the end of the year and moved to Brazil in February. :-) (yes, this speech usually ends with a smile).

That was about 30 seconds, right?

Keep reading occassionally for other parts of my new "Por que?" series - Por que's for the name of my blog, my lack of fighting any harder to stay in the states, not being as americanizada as I thought I was, and much more!!!

beijoosss.

You Might Also Like

9 comments