Apathetic?! Me!?!? ... Maybe.

By 18:31 , ,

So I was reading Rachel's blog the other day, and I know she didn't mean to make an indirect comment towards me, but she said something about how Cariocas prefer a weekend at the beach over "change" for their city - referring to people who didn't vote for the controversial mayoral elections in Rio, and instead went away for the weekend because some people had last Monday off.

Well guess who did the same?! :-) I've been waiting until today to publish this post because of the U.S. Elections - therefore, this makes the post more relevant. But back to my decision. I democratically put my options on a balance. On one side, I had - 'Stay in são paulo and vote in the run off elections so I can guarantee Kassab wins (which he did, btw - see article in link).' On the other I placed, 'Spend a weekend in Rio, take Monday off per suggestion of my boss so I can enjoy my first visit to the city, and get a baller tan.'

I don't know what you would have done, but the baller tan weighed more, hands down.

Okay, so maybe I've become my own worst enemy and become an apathetic bitch. But since I hope this isn't the case, here comes my defense...

First of all, let me make clear that as much as elections in Brazil are compulsory, I think it's also important to note that this does not mean the police is going to hunt you down and arrest you for not voting. It means you pay a measly fine or justify why you weren't in your voting district in order to vote on election day by showing up at the voting district you're at or within a few months after the elections.

Secondly and more importantly - Neither of the candidates moved me at all. Sure, I think Kassab was a better choice than the other candidate, Marta Suplicy, but at the same time... he's the incumbent and he didn't say anything to move me. I know a lot of people who are fervent Kassab supporters, so just because I'm friendly towards some of his ideas, does that mean I have to be too? He doesn't stand for change, nor did Marta (in her case, she did - for the worse, in my opinion). So why should I vote? One thing I agree with in United States politics is the option to vote. Sure it's encouraged, but I don't think anyone should feel pressured by society or anyone but themselves to vote and who to vote for.

This brings me back to today's elections. It's been said that there is going to be a huge turnout of Blacks, Latinos, and younger people voting these elections. Why? These are the people most passionate about Barack Obama and change - which is what
he seems to be standing for. That's why people are getting out and voting, and I think that's great!

So until someone speaks to me and makes me believe he or she will bring change to the city/state/country I live and vote in, I'm not going to feel guilty or apathetic for not voting. Educated and Sensible is what we'll call my actions (have I made excuses for my apathy well enough yet?)

And for those who feel the need to vote today in the U.S. and can vote, I encourage it - I myself, if I could vote, would be first in line to vote for Barack Obama (I even have a t-shirt that I bought in snazzy designer boutique here that says "Vote Barack Obama" with his face plastered on the front - don't worry, it was cheap) - but that's only because he speaks to me... unlike Kassab.

You Might Also Like

4 comments