Paulistanisms.

By 21:27

Woot Woot!  Look at how quickly she's updating!  I'm going to try to update more often so you don't feel like you have to go through my immense posts every other week to catch up on my life. 

I've been speaking with my parents a lot these past couple of days on the phone which I haven't done in a while, and while speaking with them yesterday, they both YELLED at me for my so called newly developed "Paulistana" accent. WTF? Everyone here makes fun of me for having a different accent (since at this point it's lost its identity completely,) and my mom goes, "I just spoke to Jen (who is from São Paulo), and you sound just like her!"

Some coworkers and I at lunch the other day talked about where certain accents come from and certain slangs, etc.  In Brazil, accents change from state to state and they change A LOT amongst states that are right next to each other. For example, you can tell right off the bat by speaking to someone whether they're from Minas, São Paulo, or Rio - all Southeast states.  In the US, a lot of states don't necessarily have distinct accents, and those that are small and near each other that do - change from city to city or borough to borough, right? At least that's what I understand of it having lived in the Northeast... 

Anywho, I think I've also picked up on some Paulistano slang and sayings, or just noticed what a lot of people here say. I know I listed a few in a previous post, but I've picked up on some more, and since the last list was so popular, here goes one more round of
"Paulistanisms" (or at least that's what I think these are...)

1. Tá Ligado? - This is like saying, "N'a mean?", "Get what I'm saying?", etc.  I only started to notice this when I realized my friend Gi says this at the end of EVERY OTHER SENTENCE. haha, love you Gi ;-) 

2. Treta - I had forgotten about this one until I got a scrap from my friend Fabiano telling me I was becoming a Paulistana, after sending him one with a "Meu," thrown in there.  This is like, getting into a fight, or some kind of mess.  i.e., Boy meets girl. Girl has boyfriend.  Boy and Girl disregard the fact and hook up anyway.  Boyfriend finds out.  Aí vai ter treta!

3. Trocar idéia - Lots of T's, huh?  Trocar idéia com alguem (with someone) means to just have a chat, or talk to someone about something.   This could be informally, formally at work when a coworker invites you to "trocar uma idéia" with him/her about a project, or my favorite - when a guy's trying to talk to you at the bar, Quer trocar uma idéia comigo morena?

4. BALADA - clubs, bars, & the like.  I used to use this before for just clubs.  Say I'd be going out to a nightclub and I'd tell my mom, "Vou para a balada hoje." But here people use it for all sorts of nightlife activities (and by this, I also mean we're keeping it PG-13 kids).  I mean, before I would never call a samba or forró place a balada... but here they totally qualify as "baladinhas," (small baladas).  In any event, Uma boa balada every once in a while is fundamental in SP.

5. Pegar. - this is my all time favorite.  Literally, it means to take, or to get something.  But it could also mean to hook up with someone at the level your imagination decides.  I used to say when I hooked up with someone, "Fiquei com guy's name." Nowadays, Eu PEGO, or eu dou uns pegas em ...  

6. Em Casa - "At Home."  This is used for example, when you're going to tell someone to crash at your place, so you would say, "Dorme em casa." - but the grammatically correct way would be to say, "Dorme lá em minha casa."  I thought just one of my friends said it, until everyone started saying it (yes, I get lots of invites to sleep over peoples' homes, haha). 

7. Mistura - A typical Brazilian meal consists of 4 different elements: Rice, Beans, some sort of Meat (Fish, Beef, Chicken, etc.), and vegetables/salad.  Paulistanos eat Rice, Beans, e a Mistura.  So the meat, salad, etc. is the Mistura.  Which really meand "Mixture." ... who knows? 

I'll leave you all at magic number 7 before this gets too long - but for my Paulistanos out there - add more in the comments (and don't be afraid to write in English, but don't be afraid to write in Portuguese either ;-)). 

Beijooss GALERA. 

You Might Also Like

14 comments